Portugal Tour Snapshot
This two-week Portugal tour features a wonderful Portuguese historian as escort, winery visits in the main wine regions of Portugal, gorgeous accommodations in villas, historic “Pousadas” and elegant inns, outstanding cuisine, UNESCO sites, friendly locals, and picturesque villages.
Tour Dates: September 30 – October 14, 2021
Tour Price: $7,295
Tour Dates: Oct. 3 – Oct. 17, 2022
Tour Price: Coming Soon
Tour price includes:
- Roundtrip airfare from Boston or New York City to Lisbon*
- Airport transfers (to and from Lisbon Airport)
- 13 nights in beautiful, centrally located hotels; Lisbon (1), Évora (2), Marvão (2), Pinhão (2), Guimarães (2), Tomar (1), Sintra (3)
- All breakfasts, 2 lunches, 11 dinners
- Transportation in mini-coach or mini-van
- All winery tours and wine tastings per itinerary
- Full-time professional tour leader, who is also an expert on all things Portuguese
- Highlights include: Lisbon, Coimbra, Porto, Douro River, Vila Real, Guimarães, Mateus, Bom Jesus Monument, Braga City, Monsaraz, Castelo de Vide, Marvão, Amarante,
- Évora, Sintra, Cabo da Rocha
- Boat ride and winery visit on the Douro River
- Cooking class
- All tour guides, vineyards, museum and monument entrance fees, tips and taxes
Back Roads & Wines of Portugal Itinerary
Depart the US, flying overnight to Lisbon
Day 1, Lisbon: Spend your first night in a luxury boutique hotel in the center of Lisbon. Visit Lisbon’s colorful neighborhoods and famous monuments. Enjoy a gourmet welcome dinner.
Days 2-3, Évora: Evora is a delight to explore: medieval cobblestoned streets, lively restaurants and shops, the Roman Temple of Diana, and the cathedral and Chapel of Bones. Take a tour and tasting of a local winery and olive oil producer. Spend two nights in a luxury hotel in the historic town center.
Days 4-5, Marvão: Stay at the Pousada of Marvão, high on a mountain, with amazing views into Spain. Explore this picturesque ancient village and its castle. Visit the lovely town of Castelo de Vide, and enjoy an entertaining cooking class with a local chef.
Days 6-7, Pinhão: Spend two nights in an elegant hotel on the banks of the Douro River. Visit a local winery for a Port wine tasting and take a boat ride on the beautiful Douro River. Visit the impressive Solar de Mateus Palace and gardens.
Days 8-9, Guimarães: Enjoy two nights in a beautiful “Pousada” hotel in Portugal’s ancient capital. Take a tour, visit the Ducal Palace, and walk down the spectacular Bom Jesus do Monte monumental staircase.
Day 10, Tomar: On our way to Tomar, we visit the ancient city of Coimbra and tour a Porto winery in the city of Porto
Days 11-13, Sintra: Spend three nights in the beautiful hilltop village of Sintra. Visit the famous Pena Palace, explore the town’s quaint streets, and see an unusual 16th century convent decorated with cork. Drive to Cabo da Roca to see the ocean from Europe’s western-most tip of land. Gourmet farewell dinner.
Day 14: Depart for Lisbon Airport for the flight home.