With Olde Ipswich Tours’ next small group tour embarking to Ireland & Scotland, what better time to post fun facts about these charming countries?
1) Life from a different perspective? Ask children on their birthdays! Irish tradition is to hold children upside down and bump them lightly on their heads for each year of their age for good luck. Considering the ever-present saying, “Luck of the Irish,” maybe we should adopt this tradition as well!
2) Ratio No. 1: With its population of 4.7 million, Ireland has more cows than actual people living in the country.
3) Ratio No. 2: There are more mobile phones than actual people living in Ireland.
4) This country’s love for it’s spirits goes way back. It boasts the oldest pub in Europe: Sean’s Bar established in 900 A.D.
5) Is the secret to everlasting love lost in Ireland? Maybe! The first divorce ever granted in Ireland was in 1997.
1) Scotland’s official animal does not even exist. The official animal of Scotland is not the Lochness Monster, but rather, the unicorn.
2) 7 out of every 10 Scots have (dreamy) blue eyes.
3) While the Scots may brag that they invented whisky, it seems history actually confirms that whisky was first distilled in China. It’s up to you whether you’d like to debate that fact with the Scots! (Good luck)
4) The infamous Scottish meal, haggis, is actually prepared with a sheep’s heart, liver and lungs and an assortment of spices to be enjoyed by tourists and locals alike.
Additional Information from: